SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io ScoreHSTS Preloaded

GDPR & Google Analytics

I've been deep into GDPR compliance extensions for Joomla recently, and while setting up a demo site I realized that compliance meant I had to give up Google Analytics. Anyone who runs a website knows this is unacceptable. Sure, there are other ways to obtain the information, but Google has really built a fantastic tool to monitor all sorts of data, not just about the visitors - but also traffic sources, time spent on specific pages, browser capabilities, and gobs more information.

That darn GDPR though - requiring consent prior to placing cookies is a killer. How do you know what content is engaging your visitors when all you have to go by is a hit counter?

So I set out to remedy that situation using a bit of knowledge I picked up years ago. Google Analytics doesn't need cookies. Over the course of 14 hours I built and tested my newest extension - System - Google Analytics (Cookie Free)

I had to be careful with certain configurations, because the goal was to achieve analytics without running afoul of the GDPR regulations concerning collection of personal data. The result has been fantastic, and I was even able to watch www.cookiebot.com scan the site for EU regulatory compliance.....how do you think I did?

Screenshot_from_20180326_121204_250x120.png

It's running on this site now and soon all of my sites. Hopefully, when it's approved in the JED, it will start appearing on sites all over the EU.