SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io ScoreHSTS Preloaded

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

Add cookies before (outside) consent choice?

More
3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #4094 by jjnxpct
Hi! Is it possible to add cookies (for example GA tracking) before any choices are made (accept / deny) in the consent module by the visitor?

So I could use GA for all visitors and may only ask for (addition) consent for other 3th party cookies like FB pixel?

I know I can set specific cookies in a way they can not be unchecked by a visitor, but they still have to accept before the are used. Also when they decline, I only want to let them decline specific 3th party cookies (like FB pixel) and still use the GA tracking.

I know this might not be GDPR compliant, but I believe we can use GA (set up the right way) without asking for explicit consent. So we would only want to use the consent module / plugin for specific 3th party cookies.

This is what would happen in this scenario:
- Visitor comes to the site. GA cookies are loaded and tracking works. Without interaction with the consent module.
- Visitor sees consent module on the site somewhere.
- If visitor clicks on 'agree' FB pixel cookies are added.
- If visitor clicks on decline FB pixel cookies are not set. But GA cookies will remain.

Can this be done with the e-Privacy Directive at this time?

Kind regards,
Jip
Last edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by jjnxpct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #4106 by michael
Sure, just enable the GA plugin of your choice and don't go through the steps to add it to the eprivacy plugin. GA will load the cookies it needs on its own.

Additionally, I created a GA plugin that does not use cookies at all ;) It's super nifty. My customers didn't like the idea of violating any part of GDPR/EU e-Privacy, but they also didn't like not having metrics....so I got clever (by reading the GA documentation) and found a way to do it without cookies.

www.richeyweb.com/software/joomla/plugin...nalytics-cookie-free

You're very active here, and helpful to me with suggestions and bug reports. I can send you a copy to try out if you're interested. Fully functional, but you won't get any updates.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #4109 by jjnxpct
Hi Richey, thanks for your offer. Before I take you up on that I would like to figure out if I could also exclude de GA code from the consent using the headtag plugin. We use this HeadTag plugin to add the GA to the site. Great plugin... But when we set the access level of this plugin to 'public' (in stead of the 'consent given' access level) the code is not used before any visitor action in the module. Or should the public code in the head tag load anyway? Or maybe I am not doing it right? JS en CSS scripts are all loaded without any interaction with the privacy module, so I thought maybe etting the GA code to 'public' would als do the trick. But I don't see any ga cookies when I do this.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #4113 by michael
GA doesn't run when added via headtag on public access level?

Do you get any error console messages?
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by michael.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #4125 by jjnxpct
Hi Michael. I checked the order of the plugins and made sure 'HeadTag' runs after 'Eprivacy'. I tried both 'public' and the accepted cookies level but in both cases there are no GA cookies set when there is no interaction with the cookies module (no acceptance or rejection of cookies). There are no cookies at all when the site is loaded.

Should there be GA cookies when it is set up like this? I would kind of expect this, but I still can;t really wrap my head around the Eprivacy plugin ;-)

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #4126 by michael
If it was easy, there would be more than 2 extensions that comply :)

Do the GA codes appear in the head?

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.