SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

Question: Google No Captcha reCAPTCHA cookies on Joomla - prep for GDPR

More
7 months 6 days ago #1185 by neilw
neilw created the topic: Question: Google No Captcha reCAPTCHA cookies on Joomla - prep for GDPR
Trying to get a UK client's site ready for GDPR using the EU Privacy package. Think I'm tracking down all the cookies, but have now come across one that I can't seem to find anything about.

Google's reCAPTCHA (v2) as used on the Joomla Contact Us page is placing a cookie. Does anyone know if it is possible to stop that cookie and still have reCAPTCHA work? Or provide a Consent button for the placement of that cookie?

I've tried to do a search on this issue, but am not finding anything about it.

On the other hand, I did find this article that does talk about how the CAPTCHA cookie does raise privacy concerns:
www.businessinsider.com/google-no-captch...vacy-research-2015-2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 6 days ago - 7 months 6 days ago #1186 by michael
michael replied the topic: Question: Google No Captcha reCAPTCHA cookies on Joomla - prep for GDPR
In order to use Joomla contact forms, you must have accepted cookies (the contact form uses a CSRF token that requires a Joomla session cookie). No cookies - no Joomla based contact forms.

Alternatively, if you just don't want to give them google cookies - I released a free (and silent) captcha called "HashCash" which doesn't use cookies (although, it does still require you to have the Joomla session cookie). You used it while signing up for my site, and you didn't even know it.

www.richeyweb.com/software/joomla/plugins/71-hashcash

There's one on my contact page - can you see it?

www.richeyweb.com/contact
Last Edit: 7 months 6 days ago by michael.

More
7 months 4 days ago #1238 by neilw
neilw replied the topic: Question: Google No Captcha reCAPTCHA cookies on Joomla - prep for GDPR
Thanks. Got the hashcash installed and appears to be working. Added instructions for the user to temporarily accept a session cookie to submit the form, then after sending, use the Remove Cookies button (from your EU Privacy plugin) if they desire.

More
7 months 3 days ago #1241 by michael
michael replied the topic: Question: Google No Captcha reCAPTCHA cookies on Joomla - prep for GDPR
While not my most popular plugin, HashCash is one of my favorites. I am not a fan of the wonky text or image captchas.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum