SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

e-Privacy: Cookies default to decline (opt-in)

More
6 months 1 week ago #1715 by AdamB
AdamB created the topic: e-Privacy: Cookies default to decline (opt-in)
Hi Micahel, thanks for taking the time and effort to develop the EU e-Privacy Directive package/plugin, it seems well thought out and it is nice to see you're actively engaged with it - thanks!

A website I look after only needs cookies for login and the majority of users do not need to log in. So to make the experience nicer for those users who do not need to log in, I was trying to use your package to default to blocking all cookies (and so not having to show a cookie notification) and then when someone tries to log in, they are asked to accept cookies (by all cookies, the only cookie I couldn't remove myself is the Joomla session cookie).

I've looked through your documentation and this forum and can't seem to find a way to do this. I thought your recent addition of the 'Decline Cookies' access level would have solved this, but it didn't. It certainly helped accomplish some of this, but I am still trying to figure out if there is a way to default to disabling cookies.

Is this something that can be done using your package?

Thank you,
AdamB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1716 by michael
michael replied the topic: e-Privacy: Cookies default to decline (opt-in)
I think you'll like this.

I very recently added an option to define login links which (when clicked) trigger the cookie confirm dialog.

It's in action here. Go to the bottom of the page, and use the button to "Remove Cookies". When you've done that, go back to the top and click the login or contact links (they both do it), and you'll be presented with the confirm box to accept cookies.

Using this method, you could re-define the CSS for the module (or the ribbon) to make the default visibility none, or the height none, or whatever. End result, no cookies until a user clicks the login link.

I really do try to remain engaged with my users. I've forged a reputation that has allowed me to go from corporate IT to self employed software developer....and I don't want to go back!

More
6 months 1 week ago #1717 by michael
I suppose the demo video of that feature might be helpful...

More
6 months 1 week ago #1761 by AdamB
AdamB replied the topic: e-Privacy: Cookies default to decline (opt-in)
Cool - thanks Michael. I did notice those settings in the plugin, but couldn't find any documentation on them after a cursory glance - I should have checked your YouTube videos! The solution you suggested worked perfectly, thank you. However, I wasn't too keen on the JavaScript popup as it is not easily customisable (like the module is) and I wasn't sure about it from a UX point of view.

From your explanation I realised that if a user does not decline or accept cookies, then they are blocked, which is great (I should have realised this earlier though). After this, I used a combination of template and language overrides, and your 'declined cookies' and 'accepted cookies' viewing levels to achieve a solution, which I've detailed below in case others want to use it.
  • When cookies have been declined, or no option has been chosen, the e-Privacy module is displayed in place of the login module
  • The login module is only visible when cookies have been accepted
  • Towards the bottom of the login module, another e-Privacy module is included (using ModulesAnywhere) and this enables those who have accepted cookies to change their mind

As an aside, do you have a change log for all the improvements you are doing from version to version? It would be useful to know what each new upgrade brings.

Thanks for the help!

More
6 months 1 week ago #1762 by michael
Changes are detailed in the repository for each version. The repository is linked from the main extension download page (labeled "Repository")
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdamB

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum