SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

Google analytics plugin won't work

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #1867 by Tim
Tim created the topic: Google analytics plugin won't work
Hi - I have what may be a similar issue and I'd be grateful if you can offer any advice.
Your extension is working well for me - after set-up it does what I need it to, so this isn't urgent (and I know you're very busy) but this is bugging me nonetheless:

when I implemented your EU ePrivacy cookie consent extension, I also removed the hard-coded google analytics code from the <head> of my website files and instead used a plugin for GA. I did this because this way, I could enable / disable GA cookies by enabling / disabling the plugin, using the user's acceptance / decline of cookies via your EU ePrivacy extension.

I created the user group (Cookies Accepted) and the access group exactly as you suggested. I updated the System-EU ePrivacy Directive plugin > Advanced > View Level dropdown with the new view level as you instructed and added the non-www version of my domain to Advanced > Cookie Domains (the www version is in the global config).

I assigned the new access level to two modules (it works well) and also to the new plugin I'm using for GA (I chose DD Google Analytics (EU Privacy for their IP anonymisation setting: extensions.joomla.org/extension/dd-google-analytics-eu-privacy/ )

But with the GA plug-in set to the new access level of 'Cookies Accepted' - it simply doesn't load ever, even when the user accepts cookies. Checking page source proves this.
If I set the access level for the plugin to 'public' - it loads when it should and of course when the user decides to decline cookies via your EU ePrivacy cookie consent extension, all of the GA cookies are removed (perfect!).

So, with the plugin set to access level of public - everything works the way I want it to
With the plugin set to access level of 'Cookies Accepted', GA never loads, even when the user accepts cookies.

Any ideas why this might be? Could it be a discrepancy between plugins and modules or extensions which affect the header vs extensions which affect the body?

[Edit: Oh - and I don't have any form of caching implemented on this site]

Thanks in advance for your time - and thanks again for a genuinely fantastic piece of software.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #1874 by michael
michael replied the topic: Google analytics plugin won't work
If you set the plugin to the public access level, does it load then?

More
2 months 1 week ago #1880 by Tim
Tim replied the topic: Google analytics plugin won't work
Yep, like I said in my previous post, "If I set the access level for the plugin to 'public' - it loads when it should and of course when the user decides to decline cookies via your EU ePrivacy cookie consent extension, all of the GA cookies are removed (perfect!)."

That's what's got me so confused!

More
2 months 1 week ago #1885 by michael
I'm working on pushing out version 3.10.0 - This new version has slightly different options for access levels, so before I go down the rabbit hole, then change everything - I'm going to get this new version pushed out and we can start looking at re-configuring this for the new granular cookie options.

An hour or two will see the new version and the new video.

More
2 months 1 week ago #1901 by michael
OK, 3.10.1 is now out after a bug report (for something minor)

With this new version, I'd like you to create a new access level just for Google Analytics. My suggestion is to create all of your cookie levels beginning with "Cookie - " in the name. So make this one "Cookie - Google Analytics".

Change the access level of the GA plugin to this new access level.

Finally, in the new 3.10.1 plugin configuration - go to the "Cookie Definitions" tab and create a new definition:

Cookie Domain: .google-analytics.com
Cookie Name: Various
Cookie Description: something good about GA
Access Level - the Cookie - Google Analytics level you created earlier.

At this point, when you accept cookies, you will have to accept analytics.

More
2 months 1 week ago #1920 by Tim
Tim replied the topic: Google analytics plugin won't work
Thanks - genuinely. I'll get this installed and tested as soon as the powers that be, allow.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum