SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension

More
5 months 5 days ago #1908 by michael
michael created the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
I don't want to do this, but it appears that I will have no choice unless I can stop the user doing this.

The latest version provides daily updates for the Geo IP address lookup feature. The plugin is configured to download this update once daily, and if using the cron feature, it's recommended to download daily after midnight UTC.

I'm hosting static files from my site, extension update XML files, and this particular zip file update on my CDN. Normally, the CDN traffic is fairly light - this is mainly due to browser caching.

My CDN provider anonymises IP addresses in the logs, so the best I can do is identify the user by the partial address: 77.104.136.0

The user/site at this address is downloading the 800KB file more than a dozen times per minute. At the rate it's being downloaded by this one user, my inexpensive CDN is going to become very expensive.

I have messages to SiteGround and my CDN provider to try to identify this user and stop the abuse, but at present - I'm not hopeful. I've sent abuse messages that went unanswered for months.

If the abuse continues - I have only two options:
  1. Stop providing the extension
  2. Make it a paid extension, requiring updates to be authenticated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 5 days ago #1909 by michael
michael replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
I'm temporarily switching the CDN off, so I can watch the log files to identify the specific IP address abusing that update file.

More
5 months 4 days ago #1910 by Adi
Adi replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
or just make that Geo IP feature a separate sub-module and make only that as paid extension?

The e-Privacy package itself doesn't really need Geo IP, it can work perfectly fine with geo-ip fencing turned off. (i'm using it with Geo IP off)

More
5 months 4 days ago #1911 by michael
michael replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
I use it with geoip turned off too, but I hate to take away features.

More
5 months 4 days ago - 5 months 4 days ago #1918 by jjnxpct
jjnxpct replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
Hi Michael. Nasty business... Hope you can find a good solution for this. I this becomes a paid extension, I will gladly pay something for it.
Last Edit: 5 months 4 days ago by jjnxpct.

More
5 months 4 days ago #1929 by michael
My intention was for this extension to be the gateway-drug to my other GDPR extensions.... It's been free for so long (6 years) that I am not comfortable making it a paid extension.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum