SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension

More
3 months 1 week ago #1956 by michael
michael replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
I could do that, give it a few days for users to upgrade, then remove the file..... Misconfigured servers aren't working anyway...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 6 days ago #1957 by michael
michael replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
Whew! The storm has subsided! It appears that the affected sites have upgraded and I'm no longer being hammered!

It's going to cost me a little, but that's my own fault for failing to code that additional test before the first release of 3.10.x

I was afraid it was never going to end!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjnxpct

More
3 months 4 days ago #2046 by pixelstext
pixelstext replied the topic: I may be forced to make EU e-Privacy Directive a paid extension
No problem for me; I'm willing to pay for good extensions. For "free" you only see a sunrise.

More
3 months 4 days ago #2052 by michael
I'm switching the geoip plugin from a self-updating plugin, to a weekly release. The past 24 hours leads me to believe this is malicious. It jumped from a dozen or so requests per minute from a few addresses, to thousands of requests per second from a dozen addresses. This is eating 5GB per hour and is threatening to burn up my annual CDN budget in the next 20 days (if the use stays steady)

I'm pushing out the new version now, and there will be a new version every week on Sunday. Sites that do not update regularly will be using old IP distribution lists.

More
3 months 3 days ago #2093 by michael
The nearly 1MB geoip.zip file that was killing my cdn (nearly 20GB per hour) has been replaced with a 240 byte version that reports all IP addresses as "Anonymous Proxy" - which is enough to trigger the eprivacy plugin to display the cookie notice.

I had no choice but to do this now, because by this time tomorrow I would have gone through my entire years budget for the CDN service. As it is, I'm probably going to end up paying 4x what I expected to pay for CDN this year - but that's life.

Users who do not update to the latest geo ip plugin will end up showing the cookie notice to everyone - which I think is a good way to fail.....

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum