SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

Cookie definitions - Google Analytics cookies

More
3 months 1 week ago #1937 by jjnxpct
jjnxpct created the topic: Cookie definitions - Google Analytics cookies
Hi! Google Analytics sets three cookies on one of our sites:

_ga
_gat_gtag_UA_77955789_1
_gid

Do we need to create three cookie defenitions for these three cookies? Or can they somehow be combined?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #1938 by jjnxpct
jjnxpct replied the topic: Cookie definitions - Google Analytics cookies
OK, when I just use the ga_ cookie the GA cookies are not placed when I don't consent. After checking this one and saving, the three cookies are set. After changing the preferences to no GA, the cookies are not deleted? Also not the ga_ one? Or is the deletion not possible when changing the preferences?

More
3 months 1 week ago #1940 by jjnxpct
Ah wait. Because we first give consent for the cookies the are placed on the computer. Changing the preferences then might not mean the previously accepted cookies need to be deleted. Right? So deleting cookies after changing the prefs is what I might have expected, but not necessary... Deleting the cookies will work with the 'Delete cookies' button.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #1949 by michael
michael replied the topic: Cookie definitions - Google Analytics cookies
Delete cookies deletes cookies from your domain. I can't do anything about 3rd party cookies (from another domain) once they've been set. What my extension does is prevent the resources that use those cookies from loading. So they do disappear from the list when the user de-selects a cookie item from the checkbox list.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by michael.

More
3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #1965 by jjnxpct
Hi Richey, I get that. While testing I was expecting the actual cookie to be deleted after consent was changed from yew to no. But that indeed is not behavior to expect. Although you might argue that would be a good thing for a user. Because he/she changed here mind maybe it would be nice to then also delete the cookies that were allowed earlier.

Changing consent actually only means adding consent for more cookies. When you uncheck a box, the consent might change, but the cookie is still there. Because you gave consent earlier. Right? Of will this actually stop working / tracking the visitor?

This is only in case someone first gives consent and the changes it back to 'not'.

But again, when a user first accepts a cookie and it is set, they have given consent for this, so legally that's no problem. And they can always remove all cookies with this plugin.
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by jjnxpct.

More
3 months 6 days ago #1966 by michael
michael replied the topic: Cookie definitions - Google Analytics cookies
I'll play around with that. depending on how GA is implemented, the cookie might be set on the .google.com cookie domain or the site domain....

I stopped worrying about it months ago when I wrote the Google Analytics (No Cookies) extension....I suppose it is a good idea to look into it again.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum