SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× EU e-Privacy Directive needs your help!

A free extension like this survives only by reputation. You can help by submitting a review in the Joomla Extension Directory. Please take the time to make a review by clicking on the link below (opens in a new window)

extensions.joomla.org/write-review/review/add?extension_id=4850

youtube cookie still active, even though I disabled cookies.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #2293 by bobptz
bobptz created the topic: youtube cookie still active, even though I disabled cookies.
Hi

I was testing at your website ( www.richeyweb.com/software/joomla/plugin...nalytics-cookie-free ). At some point I disabled all cookies but I played the video. The youtube cookie appeared in the inspect list. Is this supposed to work like this? I thought that all cookies would be disabled, even if website functionality failed as a result.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #2297 by michael
michael replied the topic: youtube cookie still active, even though I disabled cookies.
If the page loads any element from youtube.com, your browser will retrieve any youtube.com cookie it has stored and send it with the request to youtube.

The same-origin policy enforced by browsers means that the only thing I cookie I can manipulate are cookies from my own domain. Other cookies I can only block by preventing the resources from loading. The resources I load from youtube on playback don't set cookies, so if one appeared - it was already in your browser and there's no way for me to detect that (same-origin policy)

I believe that if you delete that cookie, you'll find that you're logged out of youtube, which means it's the youtube login/session cookie (set when you log into youtube/google)

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #2299 by michael
michael replied the topic: youtube cookie still active, even though I disabled cookies.
Yay - you're running Ubuntu! I don't see too many fellow Linux folks.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #2302 by bobptz
bobptz replied the topic: youtube cookie still active, even though I disabled cookies.
Hi Michael

I thought that we are responsible for all third party stuff on our website. So if a user says DECLINE ALL COOKIES, somehow we have to not affect the user's pc with cookies at all. Even if this means to make our website completely dysfunctional.

I made this much simpler test.

I cleaned up all cookies from chrome.

Then I visited your page ( www.richeyweb.com/software/joomla/plugin...nalytics-cookie-free ). Immediately chrome reported those cookies:
i.imgur.com/PDwqHvS.png

Your page was reporting no cookies yet.

Then on your page, I DECLINED cookies. No cookies n your page yet. Then I started playing the youtube video on the page. And here is the cookie again:
i.imgur.com/RHSJIJN.png
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by bobptz.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #2308 by michael
That just says there is a cookie, doesn't say were it came from.

When you load the page, go to your "network" tab, and down the list of loaded elements until you see a "Set-Cookie" header. for an element coming from youtube-nocookies.com

When I load it in an incognito window - no cookies are delivered. My guess is that it's something already in your browsers cookie jar.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #2309 by bobptz
bobptz replied the topic: youtube cookie still active, even though I disabled cookies.
Hi Michael

>>>>>
When you load the page, go to your "network" tab, and down the list of loaded elements until you see a "Set-Cookie" header. for an element coming from youtube-nocookies.com
<<<<<
I tried but could not follow your instructions. Here s what I got:
i.imgur.com/xC0EGna.png

Here is what I did:
1) Go to Chrome Incognito mode.
2) Go to chrome settings (cookies) page.
3) Clean all cookies.
4) Add a page tab (google.com)
5) Clean cookies again (obviously created from google.com).
6) In the new tab, paste the url : www.richeyweb.com/software/joomla/plugin...nalytics-cookie-free and Decline Cookies.
7) Chrome-Inspect shows no cookies on this page.
8 ) Go to chrome settings, there are 6 cookie entries. I assume they came from your page, but I am not sure.
9) Start the video on your page.
10) Chrome-Inspect still shows no cookies on this page. Contrary to what I had noticed before ( i.imgur.com/RHSJIJN.png ).
11) Go to chrome settings, there are at least 11 cookie entries. I assume the new ones came from the video that just started, but again I cannot be sure.

Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by bobptz.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum