SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io ScoreHSTS Preloaded

There's a right way, and a wrong way

I've been tracking some bad reviews in the JED for one of my more popular extensions. What I'm finding is very unfortunate, because there isn't much I can do about it other than beg people to stop. Apparently, people are creating non-forks of my extensions and then leaving them online to become stale, or are linking to the download destination of specific versions of my extensions. I don't know if this is malicious, or if they're just oblivious to the consequences of their actions. Of course they would be oblivious - they aren't the ones feeling the consequences.

I release updates for bugfixes on a frequent basis. Feature releases are less frequent, but all the same - my extensions get updated regularly. When someone creates an un-maintained/un-altered fork, they're creating a scenario that makes me look bad. Someone downloads the bad fork, and when it doesn't work - they blame me for it.....leaving bad reviews in the JED. It doesn't hurt the person who created the fork, so why would they pay it a second notice? Likewise, when someone links to a specific old version of my extensions, people download it expecting to see a working extension - which is not always the case where Joomla is concerned. Updates to Joomla drive many bugfix releases. If you download the 2.14.0 version of my extension, but I've released over 100 updates since then - you're not going to have a good experience.

Please, please! If you're going to link to an extension - link to the download page. If you're going to fork an extension - do it the right way. Don't leave my name on it - I don't want the blame you're creating for me.