SSL Labs Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× Extension Discussions

Profile History emails

More
1 week 6 days ago #378 by Dan
Dan created the topic: Profile History emails
What options are available for customizing the notification email that is sent out when a profile has been updated? Since the option is there to be able to choose whether the recipient is a user or admin (or both), it would be great to be able to tailor the email to the audience. Perhaps making a completely customizable email is not be feasible right now, but following are some items that would be very helpful.

1. A critical thing in an admin notification would be identifying what account the email relates to.
2. Making the subject line and first paragraph editable by language override.
3. Making the list of changes a bit more visually scannable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #381 by michael
michael replied the topic: Profile History emails
Fair enough. This was a first release of that feature, so it was bound to need some tweaking.

The change list is pretty tough to style, because of the nature of the data (unknown), so that's going to remain the same. Additional text in the email, however, can be done pretty easily.

Would this work?:

A separate email header, one for users - one for admins. Each would be controlled by a language string, so they can be customized. The user header would be a simple text like what exists presently, but the admin header could contain replacement values like %id% %username% %name%.

What replacement values would you want to see? Off the top of my head, I can see these being useful:

%id%
%username%
%name%
%ipaddress%
%datetime%
%useragent%

More
1 week 5 days ago #382 by Dan
Dan replied the topic: Profile History emails
I like the way you are thinking with the separate emails for user and admin. Language strings and the replacement values for the admin would be great. The first 3 replacement values in your list for sure, the last three could come in handy in certain contexts as well. All good from my perspective and the sooner the better. ;) Thank you for your willingness to continue progressing this plugin!

More
1 week 5 days ago #383 by michael
OK, I've hit a mental block on the extension I've been working on today - this should be a good distraction so I can come back with fresh eyes.

I'll have a new version tested in an hour or so.

More
1 week 5 days ago #384 by Dan
Dan replied the topic: Profile History emails
Sounds good!

More
1 week 4 days ago #385 by michael
OK, version 1.7 is now available. Your Joomla updater should pick it up in the next hour or so after my site refreshes available versions.

If you don't like the admin templates, you can override the language strings and replace with your own. The string constants are:

PLG_USER_PROFILEHISTORY_NOTIFYADMIN_SUBJECT
PLG_USER_PROFILEHISTORY_NOTIFYADMIN_BODY

It produces output that looks like this:

The following account has been updated with new information:
Subject: Account details have been updated for Michael S Richey (896:michael)
ID: 896
Username: michael
Name: Michael S Richey

This change occurred at 2017-11-10 12:37:04 from the IP address '::1' and a browser identified as 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/62.0.3202.75 Chrome/62.0.3202.75 Safari/537.36'

[groups]:
Removed from 1b - Group One B / Added to 1c - Group One C

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum