SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× Extension Discussions

How does Google Analytics (no cookie) work with returning visitors?

More
6 months 1 week ago #1273 by celius
celius created the topic: How does Google Analytics (no cookie) work with returning visitors?
Are all visitors treated as new visitors?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1274 by michael
michael replied the topic: How does Google Analytics (no cookie) work with returning visitors?
They are recognized as return visitors under 2 scenarios:
1. If they log in AND you have user tracking enabled, then they can be tracked across visits
2. if they return using the same browser window (same window, same tab, without a browser restart)

Otherwise, they are seen as new visitors.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1275 by michael
michael replied the topic: How does Google Analytics (no cookie) work with returning visitors?
Excellent question, by the way.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1276 by celius
celius replied the topic: How does Google Analytics (no cookie) work with returning visitors?
Okay. Good. Thanks for clearing that up and giving credit for a good question. :)

I've then got a feature request. Since you've created some superb plugins to tackle the looming GDPR era.

What if when combining EU e-Privacy directive plugin with your Google Analytics (no cookie) plugin in this way:
- When both are installed, before accepting cookies it will run analytics with no cookies.
- When both are installed you have an option to switch the mode of Google Analytics (no cookie) to use cookies instead, when cookies are accepted?

That way, as soon as the user has accepted cookies, you can gain all the benefits offered within Google Analytics?

More
6 months 1 week ago #1277 by celius
celius replied the topic: How does Google Analytics (no cookie) work with returning visitors?
I've had a look at your plugins and got an idea on how this could be done with what I belive is minor adjustments for a skilled developer as yourself (I'm not good with php).

In your EU e-Privacy Directive plugin it would be good to assign a different user level also when the user declines accepting cookies.

With your other plugin Headtag, one could then load your ganocookies.js script for the ones that does not accept cookies, and the normal ga.js for the ones who do accept it.

I've manipulated the system a bit to see how this works, and basically it would track one user when the user first arives at the site. If cookies are enabled it would identify this as a new user and then track only that one.

I'm not sure if it's possible to make the ga.js cookie take of the ganocookies.js session to make this not happen, but it could be solved by adding a one time timer when the user visits the page to allow some time to select cookies or not before placing any of the ga*.js

Maybe I'm just rambling here, but it sure would be sweet to be able to handle tracking the best way according to if the user accepts cookies or not.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1278 by michael
I'll look into that!
The following user(s) said Thank You: celius

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum