SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× Extension Discussions

Authentication - Email

More
9 months 1 week ago #2403 by michael
michael replied the topic: Authentication - Email
99% of the time, I write them for my own needs, and release them so others can benefit.

There is that 1% where I write an extension for a client and they authorize for it to be released publicly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #3770 by andybonner
andybonner replied the topic: Authentication - Email
Have been happily using this until someone with a ' in their email joined my site!!!!

It doesn't seem to work with emails with apostrophes like chris.o'This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Can you replicate that issue?

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #3771 by michael
That's different.... I'll run some tests on that.

An apostrophe is valid in RFC 5322 but most services don't allow it. I'm not even sure if Joomla will allow it.....to be honest I've never tried, or heard of anyone trying.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #3772 by andybonner
Thanks! I look forward to hearing. The apostrophe works in the password field.. just not when it's in an email address and that's used for the username... not good for the Irish where O'Sullivan, O'Brien, O'Neil and many other names like that are of course commonplace!!!

More
3 weeks 2 days ago - 3 weeks 2 days ago #3773 by michael
OK, it seems that the Joomla authentication fields are populated using some kind of filter that removes apostrophes (and, presumably other characters that I can't be bothered to test...because there's no point)

Anyway, now that I know that there's a filter in place, I don't trust the username field to convey the username as entered and I go directly to the raw input and things work as expected.

I created a user with username obrien, password obrien, and email address o'This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and was able to log in.

I need to do some more testing before I release a new version, so give me a bit and you'll see an update available with in the Joomla updater within the next day or so.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andybonner

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #3774 by andybonner
Thanks for the info... Great to hear you've been able to figure this one out. Awesome news. I'll certainly be eagerly looking out for the update!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum