on a new site project I'm looking to enter the email as username during login. Instead to change validation. It wouldn't have been simpler:
- hide the username field with a display: none CSS
- saving ("before saving" during creation and editing), fill in the "username" field with the "email" field value. I'm not a developer and cannot help here. Please, What do you think about ? Maybe, Do you have an idea / suggestion to test it ?
- with a simple language override changing the "Username" label with "Email" (the same for emails and alerts). As you documented for your plugin.
in first of all really many thanks for your answer, too appreciated!
Then, my English is not so good. So, I'm not sure I explained well what I mean, because you wrote:
"...it created a random string for the username, and then once the user was saved..."
I would see the thing a little bit more simples:
I mean, just on Joomla Registration page form during Creation / Editing, to live auto populate / auto fill in the "username" field with the value of the "email" (or) "email2" while typing and before saving >
something like this
- let see the
- hiding the "username" field that can be done also through Custom CSS...
Here are other two small code suggestions that, maybe, can help:
Auto fill username in a form
- May be can be used to add code in the template registration page ? (In my case I'm using Helix Ultimate)
Ajax auto populate from field