SSL Labs Score

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

Top of the Page - add aria-label for accessibility enhancement

More
4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #178 by n8solutions
n8solutions created the topic: Top of the Page - add aria-label for accessibility enhancement
Hello!

When you choose to hide the text screen readers see the "top of the page" button as an empty link. To fix this it would be nice if aria-label was added so that when the text is hidden and only an icon is visible screen readers won't detect it as a bad link with no text.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by n8solutions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #185 by michael
michael replied the topic: Top of the Page - add aria-label for accessibility enhancement
I like it!

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #200 by michael
michael replied the topic: Top of the Page - add aria-label for accessibility enhancement
I'm re-writing Top of the Page now...

Any suggestion for what I should use in the label? is there a standard, because I can't seem to find anything mentioning return-to-top links?

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #219 by n8solutions
n8solutions replied the topic: Top of the Page - add aria-label for accessibility enhancement
Sorry for the late reply. I just now saw your second post. There isn't a "standard" for returning to the top of the page. As you know the icon is interactive, i.e. a link associated with it, if it has text it is fine. However if the option to "hide" the text is used the interactive icon appears blank thus an individual using a screen reader can not identify it's purpose.

With that in mind I would suggest that the text that would be displayed if it was not hidden be used for the aria-label. My reasoning being that your plugin could also be used on sites that are non-english and/or multilingual. I also remember that you provided the ability to set an "override" for the text via the language overrides section of Joomla. I have used that feature to set the text for it on many multilingual sites. So whatever is entered would be what is used for aria-label regardless of whether or not the text is hidden. This would also allow non-english sites to customize the text via the language section for any site languages being used and have it apply to the aria-label as well.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for working on this! I really appreciate you being open to adding this feature request!
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by n8solutions.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #220 by michael
I was more concerned with the content of the aria-label. I've already written the plugin to work with multi-lingual sites.

I poked around for a while and came to the same conclusion, there isn't a standard text used for those buttons, so I gave it the same as the default button text - and it isn't turned off with the button text.

Thanks for the suggestion - it's already in the latest version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n8solutions

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Kunena Forum