SSL Labs ScoreSecurityHeaders.io ScoreHSTS Preloaded

There is no cost to join RicheyWeb, and membership is a requirement to submit bug reports and participate in the support forums.

× Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Hash Cash

More
5 months 1 hour ago - 5 months 1 hour ago #34145 by Hawkeye4
Hash Cash was created by Hawkeye4
Noted with interest your Hash Cash plugin for Joomla. I set up a community Joomla site a number of years ago and used form extensions (X2) from a developer who has since decided to drop their support for said product in favour of another CMS provider. In more recent times the forms have attracted a small amount of spam which is getting past the captcha aspect of said form extensions per the attached, emailed portion of the latest Contact Form example. If my take on your Hash Cash is correct it would appear to be a very nice solution to the problem. Please comment?
B. Regards..... Rod D
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 months 1 hour ago by Hawkeye4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 4 days ago #34166 by michael
Replied by michael on topic Hash Cash
It would all depend on the captcha options available to that form extension. If it uses the system captcha (the one configured in global configuration) then it would be possible to implement mine as the default captcha for this form.

From what I can tell, the very little spam I get in my forum is made by people, not bots.....if that's any indication of the effectiveness. I manage the forum by myself, and only once a month.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #34173 by Sharon
Replied by Sharon on topic Hash Cash
I intend to use HashCash for Joomla /Components/Contacts. It is intend to make it easier on site that receives the visually and physically challenged visitors. I have installed it on a test site.

How might we know it is working in order to judge where to set the HC challenge difficulty?

I have read what may be more recent take on HC, and that seems to be that it will work with other forms, provided default captcha is set in Global Config?

Does the challenge come at when page form opens, or upon Submit?

Many thanks for your work.

S

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #34174 by michael
The hash is calculated on page load. As computers get more powerful, the difficulty can be increased - but be mindful of the lesser computers that might be browsing your site. If you watch your CPU usage, you'll be able to see when the calculation is complete. The default was sane at the time the plugin was created, but computers haven't gained much power since then. It's best to do some testing with moderate devices before setting the difficulty too high.

Also, yes, if it's set as captcha in global config - it will work with any form that implements captcha. It runs on all forms on my site....did you notice?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #34175 by Hawkeye4
Replied by Hawkeye4 on topic Hash Cash
Richey thanks for the response and best for the New Year!
The Form component came from Web Dorado and the basic captcha is part of the product and
does not use the Joomla system aspect. They no longer support their earlier Joomla extensions so
the easiest solution may be to delete same and use the Joomla contact form and install your product.
Your thoughts please?
Cheers..... Rod

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #34176 by michael
Well, my captcha does work with the Joomla contact form....

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.